8/24/11

Quiet

I know I've been real quiet on the blog lately but that's because life has been CRAZY! Unfortunately about a month ago we had some management changes at work and I went from being weeks away from being able to work completely from home to being required to be in the office much more of the time (which is an hour away from our house). Logan is finally in his last week of a pretty intense class (can't wait until that is over) and has been a studying fool.

The twins are now eating solids twice a day which is great but also means two more feedings to fit into an already crazy schedule and so far they haven't dropped any nursing feeds yet so the solid meals in addition to what we were already doing.

We've been working on potty-training Rylan again. We had her in good shape weeks before the twins were born hoping we still had a couple months to get her really solid before babies rocked her world but then they showed up 7 weeks early instead. What can you do?! With all the craziness and new baby shuffle let's just say changing diapers on 3 kids was a whole lot easier then cleaning up the "accidents" that happened every time I was busy with a baby. Anyway, Rylan is basically potty-trained again but will still have an "accident" whenever she decides she's not getting enough attention or just doesn't feel like using the potty. So frustrating even though I understand it.

As I mentioned, Caiden started preschool this week which is great! But the addition to our schedule means figuring out pick-ups and drop-offs in amongst 3 other kids' nap schedules, my work schedule, Logan's school schedule, etc. (I know, it's only the beginning of managing the schedule conflicts of a family of 6!) He's coming home incredibly tired (read: prone to crazy freak-out fits) but is also sleeping more (score!) and loving school (double score).

So needless to say, we've just been trying to keep our heads above water and figure out our new "normal" so that we can settle into a routine that keeps us from going crazy. We've been fighting sickness on and off over the last month as usually comes when you're pushing too hard so I'm hoping we can find better balance soon.

(Caiden and Toben on one of our sick days)

My job schedule change has been difficult on us all and we are spending much time in prayer and searching for the right path to take from here. We are working to keep in mind the things that are important to us as a family and seek how to arrange life around those things rather than go with what seems "safe" and attempt to squeeze in the "important" things where we can.

It is important to me to be able to nurse the twins for another 5 months (which that alone is almost impossible to maintain in the office and when stretched thin). It is important for me to be home with the kids most of the time. I can't help constantly feeling like the time they are home with us is slipping through my fingers. It is important to us to be available to serve others and our church. It is important to us to make time for friendships and connect with other families. It is important for Logan to be able to really dig in at school and make the most of his time there. It is important that we take the time to parent each of our 4 kids and be available to lead them as God wants us to. And it would be nice if we found some time to exercise, stay healthy and have a little fun too!

We haven't fought for these priorities in the past and usually felt trapped just trying to keep the bills paid but now we are making every effort to live more simply so that we have the ability to spend our time and energy where we claim our priorities are. It is obvious to us that God has orchestrated many seemingly impossible details already over the past year and a half and I have no doubt that He has a plan for us in this area as well. I keep reading/hearing/seeing that Christ didn't call us to live a safe life but to live one that would be impossible if He didn't show up. Scary but exciting thought.

Whew, I wasn't planning to get up on my soap box and write all that. It was just going to be a quick recap of where we've been, honest. But since I did go there, if you think of us please be praying that God will open doors and give us the discernment to know which ones to take and the courage to go through them.

(the big kids showing their excitement about the new Walmart carts where they can sit next to each other - seriously, they were super excited about it)

2 comments:

  1. we will definitely be praying! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing! Fighting to prioritize what's important has been on my mind a lot lately too. I'll pray as I think of you!

    ReplyDelete