10/5/09

Contagious

Apparently Caiden has been sick all week with Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease...

Now I have it (even though adults rarely have symptoms, guess I'm just lucky) and Rylan's starting to get blisters on her hands....

Watch out, Logan!

Here is what I've learned with my highly scientific Internet research:

  • The disease usually begins with a fever, poor appetite, malaise (feeling vaguely unwell), and often with a sore throat.
  • One or 2 days after fever onset, painful sores usually develop in the mouth. They begin as small red spots that blister and then often become ulcers. The sores are usually located on the tongue, gums, and inside of the cheeks.

  • Blisters then appear on the feet and hands
  • Infected persons are most contagious during the first week of the illness.
  • Most adults who carry it don't show any symptoms
  • HFMD occurs mainly in children under 10 years old but can also occur in adults.
  • Infection results in immunity to (protection against) the specific virus that caused HFMD.

2 comments:

  1. i hear that stuff goes around the Y like MAD! that STINKS :( poor haags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuck! I hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete