He consistently stays dry even overnight and this week we've been working on letting him tell us when he needs to go (rather than badgering him about it every 30 mins) He does well, though he only tells you about 5 seconds before he can't hold it anymore so once he brings it up you better be ready to move fast!
Pooping in the potty, on the other hand, is not going well! Other than the one time I caught him pushing in his pants and practically threw him over the toilet just in time for it to happen to fall in (hey, that counts and we celebrated big time!), we haven't gone ever again!
We loaded him up with all kinds of fiber, watched him like a hawk, and tried many other techniques but every single time he finds the moment we're busy doing something else and goes in his pants then comes and tells us about it. He's even done it standing right in front of us a couple times! (It's really fun when he does it in his room when he's supposed to be sleeping. That's when he takes full advantage of "decorating" his space)
I know he understands and that he's fully capable, he's just not at all interested. It's been tough, but I know we'll get there eventually. It would be nice if it was sooner then later, though - I'm getting pretty tired of cleaning poop out of clothes, carpet, walls and every surface imaginable!
Oh, what a frustrating stage! We never had a mess anyplace besides the underwear, but I still hated it! Our best success was when we let the girls sit on a little potty chair while watching a movie (about the time I knew they probably needed to go). Once they realized what needed to happen, we didn't have any more accidents!
ReplyDelete