9/19/09

Book review

How could I have forgotten about a magical place called the "public library"?! It's so convenient - just go online, search for your book, place a hold, have it sent to your library of choice, they email you when it's ready, then you run in, get it off the hold shelf and go through the self check. And the best part? It's FREE!
I been obsessed lately and rediscovered my love of reading, in the last couple months I've read:

Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas- really liked this book though it was different than I expected. The biggest "new" thought that I came across is that how I act in my marriage isn't about the relationship between Logan and I, it's about the relationship between God and I. Still mulling over that one...

Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge- I've read it several times before and it always awakens something deep in me

(the library also has books on CD - great for playing around the house or while driving around! On my Eldredge kick I also got Epic and The Journey of Desire)

Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs- at first I was totally turned off by this book; I felt like it was swayed pretty heavily that women's lack of respect is the major issue in marriages, but for whatever reason when I start reading something I have to finish it whether I'm enjoying it or not. In the end the men and women's needs in marriage applied more to Logan and I than I anticipated.

Cracking the Communication Code by Emerson Eggerichs- seemed to be largely a repeat of Love and Respect, but some helpful thoughts

Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey- I've been hearing about it for years and finally read it. Now of course Logan and I have "drunk the kool-aid" and are on board for the ride!

Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey- because once I get going I have to saturate myself with the subject

How to Have More Than Enough by Dave Ramsey- really I have a sickness!

Growing Kids God's Way- still working my way through this one, but I'm inspired by the thought that the whole goal in parenting and raising kids is about reaching their hearts for God, not just controlling behavior - very helpful reminder when the days get long with a two-year old!

Next up:
Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp
Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow
Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
Bringing Up Boys by Dr Dobson
The Millionare Next Door by Cotter Smith

1 comment:

  1. Ok, first of all, I love that you have a blog now! So fun to see what's going on in your life on a more regular basis. Second, loving the books you're reading. We actually just started Love and Respect in our small group this semester!

    ReplyDelete