It's funny, I wrote this post almost 2 months ago and from reading other blogs and updates the trend for 2012 seems to be ditching traditional resolutions and instead giving the year a name or a theme. Guess I'm right on track with the latest trends this time ;)
I am an engineer, a list maker, left-brained, organized, efficient, productive, goal oriented….
At the beginning of each year I actually enjoy setting goals to be accomplished over the following 12 months. Sometimes Logan humors me and does them with me, but I know he hates it. I strive to make my goals SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely). I usually attempt to come up with 2-3 goals in a variety of set categories like spiritual, physical, relationships, finances, marriage, kids, etc
Sounds so put together, right? And life-killing
I constantly struggle with letting go of the driving need to accomplish everything on my ever-growing lists. When life is busy the first thing to go is time with friends or a head-clearing run. It is natural for me to feel that I have many responsibilities and to find worth in my accomplishments and to brush off the “fluff” of life as unimportant. How much of life do I miss by doing this?!
That is why for 2012 I have only 1 goal – enjoy beauty. I plan to make the conscious decision to let myself take the time to enjoy life around me: to stop cleaning up the kitchen long enough to witness a beautiful sunset, to release money in the budget to experience music or art, to get down on the ground with the kids to study a new bug, to choose a hike in nature over another Saturday morning of running errands and getting things done
And now I have to do it, because it’s a goal and I have to accomplish my goals ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment